Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Here are a Few of My Favorite Images from the San Francisco Decorator Showcase 2012: Part 1





Hi everyone...I had the pleasure of attending the San Francisco Designer Showcase yesterday with my daughter, Jessica.  We stole some precious "girl time," since daddy was going to mind my little granddaughter, Peyton.

Most of the pictures, taken with my iPhone, were a bit rushed because even though I was technically allowed to take photographs because I am a design blogger - it seemed every docent in the Showhouse hurried me on when I was snapping away...and there was always someone in my way!! Anyway - the people at the Showhouse were much more lenient than any I've experienced in New York.




The first thing you saw was an entire green wall, made from beautiful succulents, designed by Davis Dalbok of Living Green as well as Plants on Walls. I would love to do this in one part of my backyard.  This is gorgeous.






The beautiful sculpture just adds to the serenity


The entry hall, by Dara Rosenfeld, was beautiful.  I gravitated to the zebra Porter chairs that flanked a very stately fireplace first. I had blogged about Porter chairs before - the history of them and how they are being used now. You can read that post HERE.


The zebra hide Porter chairs are drop dead gorgeous!






The gorgeous fireplace mantle in the hall is original to the house


Other trends at the Showcase House...

Besides these chairs, many rooms sported other kinds of tall chairs.  I also saw several striped rooms, but instead of vertical...they were horizontal.


I love how the designer, Heather Hilliard Design, just ignored the panels (and the fireplace columns, see above) in the room and had the decorative artist - Willem Racke - stripe right over them.  Trust me - that is not an easy thing to do because the woodwork etc. will tend to get your stripe off kilter.  It seems to lend a sculptural quality to the room and it blends so beautifully with the other elements in the room. (And speaking of sculpture - look at the fireplace screen!)

Even the custom headboard was striped - this increases the peacefulness and the serenity of the room.


I've heard that some people don't understand horizontal striping - but when done beautifully, as in this room, it lends a peaceful quality to a space.  You know how calming it is to look at a horizon?  That's the effect that horizontal stripes have in a room. And you feel peaceful in this bedroom - so it really works. 

Another trend I noticed was the use of natural materials - burlap and linen and fabric, in general, to cover open shelving, as below. 


Fabrics were used to cover unsightly items - like the washer and dryer below in the "Press Room," by Lisa Bakamis Interior Design.



More of the Press Room - using some of the other trends...graphic, trellis wallpaper and mounted black and white photos (love the "black strip"s over the eyes - a humorous touch)


And fabric - this time an Hermes scarf, was used behind glass paned cabinets...



From "Her Office," designed by Catherine Kwong

 There was also a lot of purple and lavendar fabrics and colors being used in the Showcase.  I was really taken with this lovely bathroom by Tineke Triggs of Artistic Designs for Living.



The sconces, by Visual Comfort, lend a sophisticated elegance to the room. I just adore the pattern on the wall. It was taken from the designer's favorite fabric - but blown up and stenciled on the wall by Laura Smith Blair.  It looks a little like Jane Shelton's Vermicelli Square - but I'm not 100% certain.  Anyone know this pattern?



And the ceiling in this bathroom, featuring a beautifully stencilled design in gold, was made more lovely with this chandelier, from DeSousa Hughes, which echoes the sunburst mirror.

Other touches of purple include...


From "Her Office" by Catherine Kwong 



Guest Bedroom by Matt Murphy Studio


More images and trends from the Showcase in the next post!


5 comments:

Thoughts on Design said...

WOW!!! there is some serious attention to detail in the Heather Hilliard Room... That's impressive work! I Love those living walls. I keep wondering if they would survive the rigors of a New England winter.

Cheers,
John

Linda Leyble said...

Somehow I knew you would be the first to post a comment on this, How is everything going on your Showhouse? I meant to comment on your blog about which table to use. I will still pop over and put in my two cents!

Thanks

Cynthia said...

I bet this event was so much fun! I really like the zebra print chairs! Many blessings!

Linda Leyble said...

Thanks do much for commenting, it was a lot of fun - and my mind was reeling with ideas!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Linda,

The succulents look amazing. That is one beautiful wall. The zebra chairs are gorgeous. I'm a Jersey girl and we are known for our animal print. I love the stripes walls. I'm so glad to see that burlap and linen are still popular.

Dee

Happy Mother's Day!

Your granddaughter is adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...