Monday, January 16, 2012

A Faux Cobblestone Dog House

Every once in a while, I get to do something tremendously enjoyable. I was working in a beautiful and very expensive kitchen which was being revamped. There was a closet in the space that the client didn't know what to do with.  She wanted a bulletin board space for her children - a place where her 4 kids could post their school and extra curricular activities etc. I suggested that we divide the closet in half and have the upper half for the kids...and the lower half...for their beloved dog (who was a rather large dog with the temperment of an angel!).  This is what I came up with!





I had their contractor fashion out a dog house facade shape from sheetrock which I then primed and painted. I wanted to keep the same look as the floor, so I first rolled on a texture (Sandstone from Faux Effects) to mimic the grout.  I let it dry (not...I used a hair dryer and made it dry faster!) then I taped the pattern of the cobblestones with 1/8" tape. I burnished it to make sure it stayed put. Then I troweled on a few tinted layers (some whiter, some with a bit of ochre and some raw umber) of a texture called Quartzstone from Faux Effects.  For getting in to some of the smaller areas, I made my own little plastic trowel from a styrene board.  After it dried (the next day), I toned it (with some of the same tints I used in the texture) here and there to match the floor even better.

I loved doing this project because it really helped keep the look and feel of the kitchen - but it served a practical purpose.  Decorative techniques can really help solve problems.

If you are having any difficulty figuring out any problems with your rooms, just give me a call.  I am sure that I can come up with something unique and beautiful!

I am linking this project to...

Blue Cricket Design

Miss Mustardseed

Between Naps on the Porch

Hope Studios' Tutorial Tuesday

Home Stories A to Z

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Sugar Bee

Strictly Homemade

Cherished Bliss

Coastal Charm

Shabby Nest

Redoux

Feathered Nest

Romantic Home

8 comments:

lyna said...

Creating faux stone/brick is one of my favorite things to do....and I Love this idea for the dog house---very creative!

Thoughts on Design said...

Very creative use of space. I'm sure the dog is delighted with his new home!

Cheers,
John

jan west said...

Hi - great way to keep a dog out from under your feet when preparing a meal...great looking too! Janet W.

Craft Crazy Mom said...

Wow! You've got some serious painting talent! Thanks for stopping by and sharing the love.

Linda Leyble said...

Thank everyone for your comments - I appreciate every single one!

Linda

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Becolorful said...

Thank you for linking up also to BeColorful.
I have to say I want to dislike your client for having a closet she doesn't know what to do with and then for being lucky enough to have you to up with such a splendid and creative idea. The end result is fantastic. High end homes everywhere will want one. :0
Pam

jamaica byles said...

Lovely lovely work Linda.Impressive likeness....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...