Thursday, November 10, 2011

Using Birch Bark for an Eco Friendly Way to Add Texture to Your Home

    
 "...So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
And so I dream of going back to be.
It's when I'm weary of considerations,
And life is too much like a pathless wood."

I love birch trees.  The texture, the vulnerability, the purity...maybe how they remind me of my childhood, as in the except from the poem "Birches" by Robert Frost, above. Once, while living in Kirkland WA, I told a friend that the one thing I missed since moving from NY to Washington State was Birch trees. She told me that WA had birch trees - "just open your eyes!" And - they did have birch trees.  It took my taking up jogging to finally see them.

So, in honor of birches - a blog post!  You can bring the textural beauty of birches into your home easily and affordably.  And, of course - expensively, if you are so inclined!  I put together some great choices and sources for you to use throughout your home...throughout the year.


These birch candles from Cost Plus are very affordable (way less than the ones I've seen in Pottery Barn).  They would look great adorning a fireplace mantle or on the hearth or grouped together in varying sizes on a coffee table.  Add some twine or raffia around them for an extra decorative touch.

You can also make your own birch bark candles by purchasing birch bark sheets.  I've found them on EBay and other sites.  Just cut them and hot glue them to inexpensive pillars that you can find at discount shops like HomeGoods, Michael's and Target. 


You can add a stack of these birch logs by your fireplace to add texture to your room.
You can find these birch logs, plus birch twigs and sheets at The Birch Bark Store.


Why not make some birch bark ornaments, like these from designer Nan Sloan via HGTV?


On the other end of the birch bark spectrum, expense-wise, is furniture featuring this humble material.  Above, a company called Maryland Court is making some beautiful pieces that rustic and elegant at the same time.



This more contemporary piece comes from Woodland Furniture.  This company is very well-known for their attention to detail and quality.  It's a "to-the-trade" company, so you do have to go through a designer to access their line. 


Artwork can bring in the textural quality of birches while adding color as well.  The Russian artist, Maya Eventov, uses birches as inspiration  for her paintings time and again.




So, bring nature in with the beauty of birches.  Maybe you will become a "swinger of birches" too.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...